Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Manifesto

Last week in class we have talked about Manifestos. We looked at Bruce Mau’s manifesto and I have found it inspiring to see some of his beliefs because some of it I also strongly believe in. Listed below is my own set of manifesto.

Surround your self with great designs - being surrounded by great designs helps you to become a better designer.

Be Proud – being proud of your design helps your design to look a lot better, even if you don’t feel all that confident about your work

Ask for opinions – what you feel as great design but may not work for others. Ask your mom, dad, brother and colleagues what works and what doesn’t.

Be aware of your surroundings – research trends, and popular designs that people are in to at the moment. But be careful not to follow them all the time. Breaking trends might work in different situations.

Less is more - some designers (including me sometimes) feel as if doing more means better design.I find that simple designs are a lot more interesting that complicated once and simple designs easier to remember that complicated once.

Have fun – I find it hard to design when I am struggling with problems. Ideas come faster when you are in a good mood. If your not having fun, then you’ll probably have to rethink being in the field of study.

Mistakes are great – mistakes lead to better design, we eliminate what doesn’t work and what does work. That is why we need to value the time for critiques.

Appreciate Process – I find that many of my ideas come from rough work that I would have never though I could use. So keep drawing/writing those ideas, you never know when it might come to use.

Don’t be a default designer – don’t use default font, default colour and stay in same design style. Learn to challenge and seek for a collective of different styles. You do not want to be labeled as the guy who can only do a specific style.

Stay true to your self – we all have moral beliefs, learn how to take a stand and say no to things you don’t believe in. Do not be a conformist, if you don’t agree on something say NO even if gives big bucks.

1 comment:

Andrew Clanahan said...

It's interesting about the less is more thing. I totally agree with it, but I think being in school makes me feel like I ought to be doing more work sometimes.

Not so much this year but in first year.